Simple Squares Vintage Sheet Baby Quilt

Vintage Sheet Quilt

Simple Squares Vintage Sheet Baby Quilt

Another friend, another baby, another quilt!

This one was inspired by this quilt from Katie’s Kitchen (as well as a number of other wonderful quilts around the web). It’s for a good friend from high school’s new baby girl. The mom loves all things colorful and vintage, and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to combine the two.

I first attempted to scavenge my local Goodwill for sheets, but their selection was very slim (and surprisingly expensive). I next turned to the Internet, and found a great fat quarter set from The Sheet Shop on Etsy. Becky was very helpful in picking out colors, and was kind enough to adapt one of her bundles for me.  I added in yellow and pink solids that I had on hand, and pieced the back with unbleached high-quality muslin.

Quilt Layout

Laying out the quilt

I cut the fabric into 4.5″ squares (to finish at 4″), and laid them out in a 10 x 12 grid.

Rearranging the quilt

Rearranging the quilt

I left them out overnight and my helpers had fun rearranging them for me. Fortunately, I had taken a picture and was able to reassemble them. I have learned the hard way to always take a picture once I’m happy with a layout. It comes in handy when piecing the squares and rows later as well.

Simple Squares Vintage Baby Quilt Back

Quilt Back

The back was pieced with seven rows of muslin interspersed with 1″ rows of the squares. I didn’t have quite enough muslin to cover the back, and the rows of color allowed me to stretch it to fit.

Embroidery Detail

Embroidery Detail

The alternating rows of muslin are embroidered with the baby’s birth date, name, and my initials in a light purple. It’s hard to see from the photos, but the lettering is PreCursive from DaFont, my favorite source for free fonts.

Detail of Initials

Detail of Initials

I also added a pink heart. All of the embroidery was done in a simple running stitch (with the occasional French knot).

Quilting Detail

Quilting Detail

I quilted the whole thing in a simple crosshatch pattern, going through each of the squares. I bound the quilt in the same solid pale pink I used throughout. The finished quilt measures approximately 40″ x 48″, and is on its way to a sweet baby girl in Colorado!

Simple Squares Baby Quilt

La Petit Rouge – Quilt for a Baby Girl

I made this a year ago for a friend back in Michigan who was having her second child. Since it was also her second girl, I didn’t want to go over-the-top with pink. Her house is already full of glittery princess stuff, and I think she’s probably over it.

Quilt Front

The pattern is Pure Baby Boy from Moda Bakeshop. I used a jelly roll of Aneela Hoey’s “A Walk in the Woods” fabric, which I’m a little in love with.

Quilt Back

I didn’t follow the pattern for the back, and instead pieced it with three “framed” fussy-cut squares.

Fox

La Petit Rouge (Little Red Riding Hood)

Bow

The baby arrived a bit early, and I didn’t have a chance to add her name before quilting. My initials and the year are embroidered in light pink.

Embroidered Initials

I didn’t pre-wash any of the fabric, which was a first for me, and it crinkled up nicely after washing (the other photos were taken before it was washed):

Quilt Back Folded

I quilted it with simple straight lines, approximately 3/4″ apart (very approximately, as I’m terrible at maintaining a straight line, even with a guide).

The only issue I had with the pattern is that, if you have directional fabrics, they all will face sideways when pieced the way the pattern instructs. It took me a while to figure it out, but the example quilt was not pieced according to the instructions. It didn’t bother me enough to change it, but I could see it being a big problem if you have a lot of directional prints.

As a follow up – she LOVED the quilt! And ended up buying more of the fabric in order to make other things for her daughters. And I used some of the leftovers to make this quilt!

Oh Baby!

My friend and co-worker Allison is very pregnant. It’s not that she’s overdue, or even terribly close to her due date, it’s that her belly is HUGE! It is almost larger than the (petite) rest of her body. We threw her a baby shower at the office last week, and for her present I made a hat and booties. Both are heavily modified from patterns in order to use fingering weight yarn as opposed to the worsted called for. The specs are below:


Both are made from Claudia’s Hand Painted Yarn, Fingering Merino in colorway “Carousel”

Bonnet
Pattern: Hello Yarn’s Top Down Bonnet, without the ears or face
Comments: I really like this pattern. I made some modifications, as there was no chance I was going to get gauge with the fingering yarn. Other than sizing, however I followed the pattern and am really happy with how it came out and am planning on making more for gifts.

Booties
Pattern: fabulousyarn.com’s Dreambaby Booties
Comments: I had to modify this pattern for the fingering yarn as well, I also used stockinette stitch on the lower part in stead of garter stitch. I also used simple braids for the ties, instead of an i-cord. I am also happy with this pattern, and anticipate making many more bonnet/booties sets for future babies.

Categories